Saturday, June 30, 2012

Using alphas as a background & a color palette

Happy weekend!  It looks like it's going to be a beautiful one here.  Last weekend we were battling Tropical Storm Debby, and it was nothing but rain, rain, rain.  Now there no clouds in sight, it's sunny and there's a wonderful breeze.  I smell pool time coming very soon today!

I wanted to hop on today and share two layouts I made for my monthly DT challenges at My Scraps & More.  The first one was for a {stash}challenge.  The challenge was to use some old alpha stickers to create some sort of background for your layout.  Back when I first started scrapping, I had to buy every single sheet of cutesy & colorful letter stickers I could find.  Usually, they came by themselves, so there was nothing that really coordinated with them.  I've had these for probably 5 years, and they just sit there in a pile of other old stuff.  So, I pulled them out and made them work.

I created my big background banner pieces with white cardstock & watercolor paints.  I used no patterned paper here at all.  I also pulled out that Summer title piece to use...I've had it for ages, too.



I saw this amazing sketch from the Lily Bee Designs blog and just had to use it!


My second layout for today is for a {color} challenge. I found this gorgeous color palette & color inspiration photo from the Fancy Pants blog.



Here is what I created. I started with plain black cardstock and just got messy with some acrylic paints.  A few pieces of patterned paper, a few buttons, and that was it.  I am really loving how these colors pop right off the black background!
.


 Also, don't forget about the My Scraps Got Talent contest going on right now...it lasts all summer, and there are all kinds of awesome challenges going on.

 I also wanted to remind you about the Challenge Me Happy Hoopla going on right now...there are 7 challenges presented. You can play as much as you want. There are prizes up for grabs for each challenge, and a huge prize for one lucky lady who completes all 7 challenges! Click HERE for more details. Have a GREAT weekend, everyone! Thanks for stopping by :)

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that I love both of those layouts! I'm inspired to pull out my paints and use bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Missy, you so rocked this color challenge. Love how the bold colors pop against the black!! ~ Blessings

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one is a new favorite of mine!! I love the black background, with the confetti look you created using the paint and the pearls! And the big banners behind your photos are awesome!! And the paint blending on the second page is gorgeous and I love that pretty tropical flower!!

    ReplyDelete