Friday, August 22, 2014

She Explores / My Scraps & More

Happy Friday, friends!  Our first week back at school is over, and my girls really enjoyed it!  Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday and we can sleep in a bit.  This week has been crazy trying to get used to getting up early again.  All in all, it has been a great week, though :)

Have you seen the latest sketch on the My Scraps Sketch Blog yet?  It's definitely different and challenging but really fun!  I panicked at first...but once I got an idea in my head it went pretty smoothly.  The triangular design was the toughest part for me.  I decided to use the MeOlogy line from Fancy Pants on this.  I used a 6x6 Crafter's Workshop stencil and modeling paste to create the parallel lines design.  After it dried, I put the stencil back down and used acrylic paints to paint the lines different colors.  Once that dried, I traced around each one with a black pen.  I think it turned out pretty neat!

I also added some gesso to the background and used some green acrylic paint to add some messy splotches to break up the white space.  I also added some stamping and some black splatters.


I know I sound like a broken record here, but layers are just so much fun to create!  You can layer just about anything...not just the papers.  Layer die cuts.  Layer Thickers,  Layer flair!  It's all good!


More layers....I added some washi and thread here.  And just by adding pop dots, that little pink bird now has a little shadow behind him.  I love that depth and dimension that is created.


Okay, here's a close up of the painting and paste.  Kinda messy up close, but I like it that way.  It was an experiment, and at first I said to myself, "what the heck are you doing?  this looks hideous."  But I kept working at it and now I like it :)  It's out of my comfort zone and something different, but that's the beauty of a challenge, right?!


Here's the sketch....I hope you give it a try!


If you play along, be sure to upload your layout HERE.

Thanks so much for visiting me today!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun layout and I LOVE that sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE! The technique with the mask is so awesome, Missy! Love the fun way you used this sketch!!

    ReplyDelete